Yeasted Meringue Coffee Cake ~ 2 Variations ~ The Daring Bakers Challenge for March 2011!

As you all know, baking is my true passion.  I was inspired to join The Daring Bakers in January when I saw what many of my fellow bloggers created.  Check out Lizzy’s masterpiece here:  That skinny chick can bake!!!  My first impression was one of amazement, then I thought, “I want to do that, too!”  So, I joined.
First rising

The Daring Bakers is a group of avid bakers who take turns challenging each other to bake wonderful things.  This month’s challenge was hosted by Ria and Jamie for this Yeasted Meringue Coffee Cake.  The basis is a soft, lightly sweet yeast dough filled with meringue – the rest was up to us!  The dough was wonderful to work with and made enough for two coffee cakes, so I made two variations:  Raspberry Almond and Pina Colada.

The Meringue

Dough with Meringue filling

Dough with Meringue, Raspberry Jam, and Almond Paste

For the Raspberry Almond version, I used Dickinson’s Red Raspberry Preserves (which are made in Oxnard, too), and Odense Almond Paste, and topped it with sliced almonds.

My friend, Megi, included the recipe on her post here:  Linden Tea.

The finished product!  Soft, sweet dough wrapped around Raspberry Jam, Almond Paste, and Meringue topped with sliced almonds – tasted like it was from the bakery.

For the Pina Colada version, I used a wonderful marmalade from Lourdes who sells it at the Channel Islands Farmers’ Market, and I topped it with shredded coconut.

Stuffed, rolled, shaped, and cut – ready for second rise.
The bread tastes just like Hawaiian Sweet Bread, and the Pina Colada filling is over the top!  This version is really unusual and delicious – a wonderful combination of texture and flavor.
Fr. Junipero Serra in front of Ventura City Hall, CA

Comments

Both versions sound delightful but the pina colada one is extra special what a flavour delicious flavour profile that would be. And I love the 1st picture a lot well done on this challenge.

Raspberry and almond so so tasty.

Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

Hi Susan, your coffee cake looks amazing and the crumb looks perfect. I never thought adding a layer of meringue would make such a difference, this is definitely something I’ll make again.

Oh, wow – both versions sound amazing, but I must say – that pina colada version just sounds SO intriguing – I would LOVE a taste of it! Welcome, welcome to the Daring Bakers, and congratulations on a first challenge super beautifully completed!!

You did great on your first challenge Susan, very warm welcome to the Daring Bakers. The cakes turned out great and with a flavor profile of raspberries and almonds, must have been a winner all the way! Well done!

Welcome! I caution you, keeping up with FFwD and the DB’s can be challenging, but I love it. You should join the DC’s too! Love the almond paste and flavor combos.

You are so sweet to mention me :)! I’m SO delighted you’ve joined us…and what spectacular versions you’ve created! I don’t know if I could choose, so I’d like a slice of each~brava, my friend!

Both versions sound really good. The pina colada one caught my attention right away, though!! I am so glad you shared your yummu and beautiful results!

Wonderful completion to the challenge! I want to taste both versions and am intrigued by the Pina Colada version! It would be so great to have a potluck with all of the participants of The Daring Kitchen (Baker’s AND Cook’s challengers)!

Looking forward to seeing more of your challenges!

Jacquelyn

Hi, Susan.

I’m making the Pina Colada cake, and I can’t seem to keep the goo from escaping as I try to make it into a circle. I ended up with a pinched donut with goo escaping from the ends. I’ve been baking all my life, but this is a far cry from cinnamon buns. Do you have any suggestions on how to handle the rolled up dough in order to move and mold it? It was so fragile after being rolled out so thinly. The recipe said 20″ x 10″, but I could only manage about 16″. It also felt as though the dough was trying to rise as I was working with it to make matters worse.

• says

I’m sorry to hear this – I thought this dough was a dream to work with. All I can say is not to fight with the dough. If you think it needs more time to rise, let it sit a bit longer.