Sun-dried Tomato-Olive Cornish Hens ~ French Fridays with Dorie ~ and Mashed Sweet Potatoes

This week’s French Fridays with Dorie challenge is for Olive-Olive Cornish Hens.  Since I’m not a huge fan of Olives, I used Sun-dried Tomato Pesto instead of Olive Tapenade.  This is a great way to fix dinner on a weeknight.  It’s inexpensive and elegant.  The “au crapaudine” method allows the Cornish Hens to cook in half the time.  The combination of flavors is perfect and this method keeps the meat moist.

Mashed Sweet Potatoes

Peel and cube 2 large Sweet Potatoes.
Place them in a  large sauce pan.
Add enough water to fill pot 2/3 full.
Add 1 teaspoon Salt.
Boil over medium-high heat until potatoes pierce easily with a fork – about 15 minutes.
Drain, and return to pan.

Add:
1/4 Cup Butter
Juice of 1/2 an Orange
Salt & Pepper, to taste
Mash with a Potato Masher until smooth.

Bon Appetit!

Don’t miss a chance to support a good cause and win a cake baked by me especially for you!  Foodness Gracious is hosting an on-line Bake Sale for Juvenile Diabetes this week.

Coeur d’Alene Lake Resort, Idaho

Comments

We really enjoyed these as well, and the short cooking time means that we will definitely be making them again. I love to cook, but I also love to find quick easy recipes which get dinner on the table in half an hour!

Sun-dried tomato pesto sounds delicious with the hens. They turned out so nice and golden. I have been craving sweet potatoes lately. Your mashed ones look great.

I also love your substitution idea. The tapenade didn’t taste like much, so now I’m on the prowl for something else to use.

Well, just reading this recipe sounded like “au crap-audine”…just grossed me out. But I’m looking at some of the posts to see what I missed out on, and yours looks the best so far…some of the others truly do look like “au crap.” Totally not appetizing. I think I’ll go do some sugary, buttery baking.

wow you are so creative…you used sun dried tomato pesto…I must try that too the next time I roast a chicken. Looks scrumptious with the mashed potato. I love this dish and I shall be making again :)

Do you live out by CDA or take a vacation there recently? I had friends that went all the time when we lived nearby, less than an hour and I never got the chance to go, I was always working (booo!) … well your hens looked great and I love your plates!

Great idea with the SD tomato pesto. I’m not an olive fan. I never got to this one (surprise) but I do want to give it a whirl. Just not the olives! LOOKIN’ GOOD here…as always!
    Trevor.