Bubble-top Brioche! ~ French Fridays with Dorie ~ and Deviled Ham + Late Addition – Bourbon Bread Pudding with Caramel Bourbon Sauce

Bubble-top Brioche!

This week’s French Fridays with Dorie challenge is for these lovely, buttery Brioche!  I was so excited to try these – I even have these cute little pans!  I have to admit that my first batch didn’t rise – John & I make Pizza almost every week, so I didn’t have any anxiety about working with yeast.  Needless to say, I was really upset when the dough didn’t rise.  I read & re-read the recipe and was sure I’d done everything right, so the only conclusion I could draw was the milk was too hot & killed off the yeast.  So, last night, I tried again – and, voila! Here they are!

Deviled Ham
This is one of those “no recipe” recipes.  John often makes this when we have ham.
In the bowl of a food processor, add:
About 2 Cups Cubed Ham
1/2 onion
Pulse a few times until finely chopped, scrape into a bowl and stir in 2 – 3 Tablespoons Mayonnaise.

For all my fellow Doristas who, like me, missed out on Tuesdays with Dorie, I wanted to let you know that the group is open again and will start baking through Baking with Julia in February.  It’s only twice a month – and I’m hoping it off-sets Baked Sunday Mornings, but I really want to become a better baker, so am going to join.  If you’re undecided, check out this video!

Late addition:  This Brioche made the best Bourbon Bread Pudding I’ve made so far – and, of course, I made Caramel Bourbon Sauce to top it off!

Southern Caramel Bourbon Sauce
In a medium saucepan, whisk:
1 Cup Cream
1/4 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
1 Tablespoon Light Corn Syrup
Boil over medium heat for 10 minutes, whisking occasionally.
Remove from heat and stir in 1 Tablespoon Bourbon.
Pour over Bread Pudding while warm.

View of Santa Cruz Island from our rooftop.

Have a fabulous weekend!

Comments

I’m so glad your second attempt worked for you. Your brioche rose beautifully. Seeing your deviled ham takes me back to my childhood – that’s how long it’s been since I have had it, but have never had homemade. I’m going to try John’s recipe! I am so glad that you are going to join TWD! So am I and I am also hoping that it will be on different weeks than BAKED.

What a great little snack! I’ve killed a couple of yeast preparations this year – not the brioche’s this time around, though! The new Tuesdays with Dorie sounds tempting now, especially if it is only two recipes per month.

Susan, So glad you tried again! It’s so disappointing when something you work so hard on fails…I’ve had my share. Your brioches look gorgeous and the deviled ham looks like a perfect accompaniment. Love your little brioche pans…so glad you had success this time!!

I am thinking of joining Tuesdays with Dorie. I have the book and would love to explore the recipes. Obviously baking is my passion! Not sure if I’ll be able to keep up with the group but I’ll give it a try. How about you?

Hi Susan, I tried earlier to comment but I guess it didn’t work ;-(
    So here I am again, your rolls came out perfect, love the brioche pans and good idea to make a meal with your ham spread!
    I ordered the baking book for the new group, so will check it out!

Thank goodness for second chances! I hate that when my recipe doesn’t work out and I have no idea why.

As for TWD, I think I can only handle one cooking group at a time so I’ll be sticking with FFwD.

Good for you for trying again. I’m glad it went well, and the rolls look
    good. I love your recipe for the ham, that is one of the things both
    Tricia and do with our left over ham. I think i like ham salad better
    than sliced ham. Love those brioche pans, so cute.

Glad your 2nd go around worked for you. I love that you have the brioche molds.
    I picked up BWJ & am looking forward to the group reopening. Since it’s only going to be 2xs a month, I think it will work out ok :-)

I’ve killed off my share of yeast, too, but I’m glad you got these to work the second time around! SO yummy…and I’m glad you have these fun pans, too :)

I emailed to say I’d like to join BWJ…is that what you did? And I’ve ordered the book! It sounds like so much fun…thanks for tipping me off.

BTW, my youngest sister went to UCSC…I had no idea you were so close! Gorgeous shot!

I’m impressed you tried again. Well done! I’m tempted to join up for baking with Julia, but really shouldn’t eat so many sweets. I look forward to your reviews!

Oh, that Southern Bourbon Bread Pudding is right up my alley! I love the bread pudding. It must be great at your house to also have freshly made pizzas every week. I also signed up for Bakign with Julia – looking forward to reading your posts there as well!