Rugelach ~ Tuesdays with Dorie

Ready to roll!

This week’s Tuesdays with Dorie challenge from Baking with Julia is for these huge over-filled Rugelach.  Although John & I make Rugelach for Christmas each year from Dorie’s Baking From My Home to Yours, they are quite different from these that are rolled in cinnamon sugar and ground nuts.

As with most of Dorie’s recipes, this one allows you to make it to your own preference and taste.  We used Pear Butter from Clearbrook Farms, dates, Craisins, walnuts, and pecans with the cinnamon sugar to fill this delicate cream cheese pastry.

Ready to bake!
Ready to eat!

The toughest part of making these is to roll them up without losing the filling!  They do remind me of the holidays with the dried fruit and nut filling and cinnamon – and they smell amazing while they’re baking.  The end result is a rolled cookie that is best eaten with a fork & enjoyed with a cup of tea.  The flavor combination is delightful!

Oxnard Strawberries for sale at the Channel Islands Farmers’ Market

Comments

Very nicely done. Such a pretty stand!
    I have to admit I was less than enthused to take these on, but I was pleasantly surprised by the alternate shaping technique offered in BWJ…

Oh my!! Look at those strawberries! The Rugelach looks fantastic. I thought it smelled like Christmas while these were baking. Good stuff!!

I love your filling. I kept thinking about your previous post of these “cookies” that were so pretty. Nice to see that your generous filling stayed put while baking. I think that with a little dryer filling I could have added more. I enjoyed this project and it looks like you did too. Love those strawberries!

I really wanted to do the crescents, but by the time I got to the assembly, I was happy just to roll these babies up and shove them in the oven. I love how yours are positively coated in the sugar cinnamony goodness. :)

Love the photography and presentation! I got two versions of rugelach, one of yours and the other Liz’s combination. Both sounds interesting and would want to give a try.

Your rugelach looks so pretty on your stand, Susan. Now that I have made them I can understand why you make these during the holidays. They are so delicious.