French Fridays with Dorie: Shrimp – and Cheese – Filled Zucchini Blossoms

Zucchini Blossoms

This week’s French Fridays with Dorie challenge is for Shrimp-filled Zucchini Blossoms – with a variation for Ricotta-filling as well.  So, we tried them both!  We also used some of the batter to fry sliced Zucchini.  The batter was so light & made everything just delicious/

Fried and ready to eat!

Fried Zucchini Blossoms are really popular in Europe in the summer and are growing in popularity in the States – with good reason.  As exotic as they look, Fried Zucchini Blossoms are really easy to make.  The only trick is to use the flowers as soon after they’re harvested as possible so they don’t wilt.  The Shrimp-stuffed ones couldn’t be easier – just remove the stamen, put a shrimp in the middle and twist the petals, dip the whole thing in batter, and fry!  These are best when they’re hot, so if you’re making a lot of them, keep a tray in the oven.  We really enjoyed both versions sprinkled with a little sea salt.

Our haul from the Farmers’ Market last week
Bon Appetit!

Comments

Nice job on your blossoms! They look lovely! I also tried them with the ricotta filling and the shrimp. Have a nice weekend, Susan!

Ha! That first picture looks like the one I had. I remember liking these – I am going to have to keep searching for those blossoms!
    Your market haul of produce is beautiful.
    have a great weekend!

Susan, they look fantastic. I have searched everywhere and could not find a blossom. My mouth is
    watering cause I know how great they are to fry in batter. Have a great weekend. Hope to catch up
    with everyone soon. I have a few make-ups on hold.

Susan where did you find the elusive blossoms? I went to Mar Vista, Playa Vista and Westchester farmers’s markets and could not find a one. I am going to keep trying as the farmers tell me it is till blossom season.

Your fried blossoms look delicious. I can’t wait to try them once my zucchini plant gets some blossoms. I am glad you said the batter is good on other vegetables because I might try that in the meantime.

I really wanted to make the shrimp version this weekend, but we had so much leftover from recreating the timpano from Big Night that we are hainh leftovers (eek!) for dinner tonight. I will be making them next weekend, though! Gorgeous shots of them, too!

That last picture is beautiful, Susan. Nice job on the blossom batter also. I’ve struck out with finding the blossoms but hope that this coming weekend’s Farmer’s Market will have some.

You got some beautiful veggies at the market – I especially love the look of the tomatoes! These were wonderful and yours look perfect.