You may recall that I recently joined a new cooking group called Cook.Learn.Undertake.Eat. (C.L.U.E.). It’s a fun venture that allows a group of us to explore each other’s blogs in a whole new way. Each month, we are assigned a blog and a theme. This month, I was assigned to Curry & Comfort which is written by Ramona who is originally from Sri Lanka but grew up in the States, and the theme is food your grandmother would have cooked and a recipe from your grandmother. Since my maternal grandmother spent most of her life in San Diego, this was quite a challenge for me. Although my grandmother died when I was only 13 years-old, I learned my love of baking from her, so I turned to Ramona’s Desserts index. I love how festive & colorful her Candy Cane Cookies look, so decided to try them. Ramona used a cake mix to make her cookies, but I used Hershey’s recipe that you can find here.
I made these fun and festive cookies for my command’s potluck. They would be so fun for kids to make and I can just imagine all kinds of color and flavor combinations for different holidays. They taste like soft vanilla sugar cookies and the white chocolate mint finish is addictive.
Here is one of my favorite cookie recipes from my grandmother. I adore coconut and California walnuts and these never fail to remind me of her. This post is from 2010: Grandma Irene’s Coconut and Walnut Cookies. I know it’s no longer popular to bake with Crisco, but these soft, chewy cookies may just change your mind.
- Lemon Mascarpone Layer Cake from Liz at That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Beef Barley Soup from Kate at Kate’s Kitchen
- Scrambled Egg Sandwich from Christiane at Taking on Magazines
- Mexican Hot Chocolate Mix from Debra at Eliot’s Eats
- Ginger Snap Cookies from Lisa at Authentic Suburban Gourmet
- Scalloped Potato Cottage Pie from Ramona at Curry and Comfort
- Lemon Chicken Thighs from Janet at From Cupcakes to Caviar
- Christy from Culinary Diva
- Persimmon Syrup and Persimmon Smash Cocktail from Alice at A Mama, Baby & Shar-pei in the Kitchen
- Smoky Potato Corn and Poblano Chowder from Azmina at Lawyer Loves Lunch
- Apple Butter and Body Lotion from Kelli at Kelli’s Kitchen
- Roasted Honey Rosemary Pecans from Kim at Liv Life
- Hershey’s Candy Cane Cookies from Susan from Create Amazing Meals
- Best Ever Ginger Snaps from Aly at Cooking in Stilettos
- Brats and Kraut from Lea Ann at Cooking on the Ranch
- Kathy from Bakeaway with Me
- Pumpkin Scones from Anna at Anna Dishes
- Roasted and Stuffed Eggplant from Stacy at Food Lust People Love
- Swedish Dark Rye Bread from Wendy at A Day in the Life On a Farm
- Spelt Dinner Rolls from Jean at Lemons and Anchovies
- Rum Spiked Chocolate Chip Cookies from Liz at That Skinny Chick Can Bake