This week’s French Fridays with Dorie challenge is for Curried Mussels. Well, as much as I am trying to expand my palate, I am just not too crazy about mussels. I do, however, love shrimp! So, my wonderful husband made this for me by substituting 1 pound of shrimp for the mussels, and it was absolutely delicious! To make it even better, he served it over Pineapple-Coconut Rice.
- 1 13.5 oz. can coconut milk + water to make 2 cups
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1 8 oz. can crushed pineapple
- In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, bring liquid to a boil.
- Stir in rice.
- Reduce hear to low and cover pan.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- While rice is resting, microwave pineapple for 30 seconds.
- Stir in pineapple.
John’s mom used to make an appetizer that was very similar to this, but of course, being from the South, she used a lot more butter. This flavor combination is just right with the pineapple adding a touch of sweetness to complement the savory curry spice. It’s destined to become one of our go-to weeknight meals.