I loved to cook as a kid! My brother and I liked hanging out with our mom in the kitchen after school while she fixed dinner for us. She encouraged us to help out where we could and we’ve both grown up to be great cooks. This delicious side dish is a cinch to put together, and surely one our mom would have let us tackle. If you have kids who like to help out in the kitchen, this is a perfect recipe for them.
I was excited to receive a box of goodies from Del Monte to participate in their #10MINUTEWOW campaign. Cheddar Corn Casserole is Del Monte’s #1 most popular Easter side dish recipe, so it was a great choice. We love cheese and corn, so this was an easy place to start.
- 3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, about 12 oz.
- 2 Tbsps. all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- ¾ cup milk
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- ⅔ cup sliced green onions, divided
- 1 tsp. hot sauce
- 4 cans (15.25oz.ea.) Del Monte® Whole Kernel Corn, well drained
- 1½ cups croutons [or crackers], finely crushed (about ¾ cup), optional topping
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled, optional topping
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper, optional topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Toss together cheese, flour and pepper in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Stir together milk, cream cheese, ⅓ cup green onions and hot sauce in a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Add corn and shredded cheese mixture; stir well to blend evenly.
- Cover and bake 30 minutes.
- Uncover and sprinkle with remaining ⅓ cup green onions and optional toppings, as desired. Bake 5 minutes longer.
We served this casserole as a side dish with cheese enchiladas and think it would be great with diced green chiles tossed in. You really are just limited by your palate as to cheese and add-in options here. This casserole is so quick and delicious that it’s perfect for a weeknight, but it can also be made ahead for a special occasion and put into the oven just as guests arrive and appetizers are served. Delicious, easy, and versatile – what more could you ask for?