John and I just returned from a lovely vacation in France where Kir, in its many forms, is a popular before-dinner drink. We enjoyed the traditional Kir made with white wine and Creme de Cassis, Kir Royal made with Champagne, and Kir Peche made with Creme de Peche. So, when I received a review copy of Punch Bowls & Pitcher Drinks from Clarkson Potter/Publishers, I selected the Blackberry Kir Punch to try first. Infused with fresh citrus and berries, it’s the perfect cocktail to toast Spring. We really enjoyed these cocktails and thought about experimenting with other fruits as well.
- 8 fresh blackberries or 8 frozen blackberries, thawed
- 4 lime wedges, seeds removed
- 3 tablespoons creme de cassis
- 3 tablespoons St-Germain elderflower liqueur
- 8 ice cubes
- 1 750-ml bottle chilled brut champagne or sparkling wine
- Place the berries and lime wedges in a large measuring cup. Using a muddler or the handle of a wooden spoon, press on the fruits several times. Mix in the creme de cassis and St-Germain.
- Add 2 ice cubes to each of 4 large champagne flutes. Divide the berry-lime mixture among the flutes. Top off the glasses with champagne; stir gently to combine.
This book is filled with recipes for almost 60 drinks to toast any celebration. There’s even a chapter on Nonalcoholic Punches, so you can make something to please all your guests. I especially like the tips on how to make flavored simple syrups and decorative ice molds. Floating flowers, fruit, and herbs in your punches takes them to a whole new level.
When we entertain, we like to create a specialty drink to welcome our guests, so we’re looking forward to trying more of these crowd-pleasing recipes. It’s just the perfect time of year to enjoy cocktails in the garden, don’t you think?
Stir up delicious fit-for-a-crowd cocktails. Find inspiration in fresh fruit, smoky spices, and potent spirits, and mix a bowl or pitcher of punch for any occasion or season. Whether it’s a drink served in champagne flutes at a holiday party or in Mason jars and paper cups in the backyard, you’ll take cocktail hour to a whole new level with every one of these drinks. ~ Press Release